Monday 30 July 2012

How much is 13 minutes worth?


This advert caught my eye as i was reading an article online. It's part of the advertising for Brisbane's latest in a series of ill-advised toll road/tunnels.

If this road's main achievement is cutting 13 minutes on airport travel - is that really worth 4.8 billion dollars? If 13 minutes is so crucial, wouldn't it just be smarter to leave home 13 minutes earlier? I'm sure there are much better things to spend 4.8 billion on - such as public transport for one. That kind of money could buy more than a few buses or trains.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I think 13min saved is a bit generous to advertise. When I've gone (against traffic) it has saved about 5-10min max. I wouldn't go so far as to say 13min...maybe in peak traffic conditions.

david said...

Good point Laura. Perhaps the real-life saving will be less than 13 in most cases.