Thursday 1 January 2009

A Local's Local

Yesterday i cycled to indooroopilly shopping centre (to visit the library) and was locking up my bike ... to a lamp post (don't get me started on bike-parking facilities) when i was approached by a couple.

"A person on a bike. You must be a local."

I don't think they were complimenting the people Toowong-Taringa-Indooroopilly area on an environmentally-aware approach to transport. I reckon their logic was based more on the premise that no-one would be cycling long-distance in the middle of a 34-degree day.

Turns out they wanted to know the nearest pub. I suggested the one at the south end of the centre. That didn't satisfy them. They were after a "pub pub" (whatever that means). I helped them out (because that's what i do) but i couldn't help but think that even on new year's eve perhaps 12.30 was an early start :)

No comments: